Monday, October 13, 2008

Political Pollution

Okay, I really tried to refrain from writing about this political climate but because it's boiling over, as is my blood, I can no longer hold back.

With that in mind, allow me to preface this by stating that I will make allowances for all of those who have never had the opportunity to travel abroad. And as such, in my opinion, the American media has no doubt condemned you to a life of receiving biased information about the world-at-large … I speak from experience as I did my broadcasting “tour of duty” in Atlanta, Richmond (VA), and Seattle—I know how it works.

For those who live in LA, where the lives of celebrities, weather, and car chases reign supreme in the media, which apparently leaves little time for global matters, you too are exonerated from my wrath.

But, for those of you who have traveled out of the country, and may join me in my angst of pretending to be a Canuck so as to avoid the ever-prevalent anti-American sentiments, and perhaps are tired of being hammered with questions such as: “Why don’t American’s have their passports?” … “Why does America have so much hatred for the rest of the world?” … “Why are most Americans racist?” … “Why do Americans have such white teeth?”, I ask you to read on.


Food for thought:

*If McCain cannot fulfill his duties as president, Palin (attendee of several colleges, beauty queen, sports reporter, mom of 5, former mayor to approx 10,000 residents, and current Alaskan governor) will become president. That is a 50/50 chance.

*How can someone vote for a VP nominee who just got a passport in 2007 and believes that her proximity to Russia gives her international experience? But wait a minute that’s not so crazy … if proximity is the key to being VP, I should go into politics! Unlike Palin, I’ve actually been to Russia, was aboard a nuclear ship that Putin had been on, sailed to the Artic Circle (didn’t see Alaska but saw those white bears that Palin doesn’t think should be on the endangered list), and discussed global warming with scientists. Oval office, here I come!

*Why didn’t Palin site the EXXON VALDEZ case when asked to name any decisions by the US Supreme Court that she didn’t agree with beyond Roe v. Wade? Did I mention that Palin is from Alaska and the incident happened in Alaskan waters? How could she draw a blank? After all, she didn’t agree with the decision! That was Katie Couric … imagine if she draws a blank when it really matters!

*Teen pregnancy is an epidemic—across all demographics. Perhaps hockey moms with daughters should think about the message they’re sending as they vote for a VP nominee / fellow hockey mom with a pregnant teenager. Apparently she wasn’t so much of a pit bull. I can hear it now … “But mom, that Palin girl got pregnant too-can I have my allowance to go to the hockey game"?

*While Palin is condemning Obama for “palling around with terrorists” and questioning his allegiance to America, WHY aren’t the McCain/Palin followers concerned with the fact that Mr. Palin belonged to the Alaskan Independence Party? Yes, THAT GROUP that wanted Alaska to secede from America.

*Obama denounced Pastor Wright but Palin hasn’t denounced the African minister who laid hands on her (YouTube Pastor Muthee). This is the minister who proudly admits to running a “witch” out of an African town. If the tables were turned, McCain/Palin followers would be yelling “kill him” at rallies. Oh wait, they already are.

*Why doesn’t anyone question McCain’s association with Bush whose grandfather, Prescott Bush, (allegedly) helped finance the Nazi Party from 1926-1943? That would have made McCain 10 years old. You know, like Obama was 8 when Ayers was “up to no good”.

*How can people have the audacity to question Obama’s lineage and background but vote for the “Terminator” even though his Austrian father volunteered for the infamous Nazi SA and became a ranking officer?

*I am amazed at the ignorance of people who believe that because of his name, Barack Hussein Obama is obviously an Arab terrorist. Does my name make me a Jewish guy? Or, maybe it makes me a deceased black comedian who converted to Judaism? I guess our national security needs some more tweaking if this alleged terrorist has made it this far in a presidential election!

*When McCain / Palin say, “We will win this war” … what does that mean? Exactly what are we winning? Why are kids who joined the military for economic reasons still dying in Iraq? Although they found Sadam in Iraq, they didn’t find weapons of mass destruction, and what else won’t they find in Iraq? You betcha--bin Laden. Think about it, shouldn’t they have found him by now? Even if he is found, this killing will go on and on because WE CANNOT "win" against Jihad. It's like we're fighting for apples and they're ready and willing to die in the name of Allah. Whatever Bush and his men did to warrant an attack the magnitude of 9 11, he screwed us big time!

*McCain isn’t a maverick. He was a POW who opted not to be released by his captors. That makes him something else … not a maverick. There are a lot of POWs—should they all run for president?

Things people have said and my response:

“Palin is like my next door neighbor -she would make a good president”
“Yeah, I'm not too sure I want my VP cracking open a can of beer, winking across the table, and incorporating phrases like "Joe Six Pack" while foreign relations are being discussed with other heads-of-state. But that's just probably me being elitist."

“I’m not voting because Hillary isn’t on the ticket”
“Hillary would be proud that you’re throwing your right to vote down the toilet—did you know that she supports Obama?”

“I’m gay but I’m a Republican – I don’t want my taxes raised”
“Great, vote for someone who openly says she tolerates you.”

“I’m concerned about the safety of the country … Obama doesn’t have experience.”
“I’m concerned about people who yell out, “Kill him!” at Republican rallies. Oh, and people like proven domestic terrorist Timothy McVeigh--remember him? Oh, and Palin with all of her “international experience” who could inherit the title of Commander-In-Chief. Oh, and a trigger-happy “maverick” who would rather shoot first and ask questions later. Oh, I'm also concerned about people who think that as long as America is the only country that’s allowed to have the most weapons of mass destruction, we will be A-OK.”

“America isn’t ready for a black president”
“So the fact that he graduated from Columbia, then graduated magna cum laude, with a J.D., from Harvard Law School, and was the president of the Harvard Law Review doesn’t mean so much because he’s bi-racial? Let me guess, if he finished 5th from the bottom of his graduating class (say 894th out of 899) and received over 100 demerits while for example, at Anapolis, that would be ok? Personally, I don’t care if my president looks like an Umpa Lumpa—I want him to be intelligent, not a "maverick".

"I'm voting for McCain, not Palin."
"I have no comment."

Whatever the outcome, I hope that on the morning of November 5, we will ban together and support our new president because whoever inherits the position is going to need it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was excellent... I read the entire thing. Loved it!
Julia

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment but it wouldn't let me. I would have said "brilliant and beautiful. you really should have run for president." Keep up the fight. only 21 days to go.
Tamara Gregory
(posted by Sammi)

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah on point number 5!!

-A

Anonymous said...

Sammi...nice piece. Thanks for sharing with us.

For those women who are voting for the Palin ticket because Hilary isn't running, please take note of her militant anti-abortion stance, and the fact that she wants your children raised in schools where creationism is taught along side evolution, in schools with no books left in the library, because they've all been burned!

And yes, your name does make you an old Jewish man.

Rock on,
Bobby B

lisa said...

Hi Sammi,

Great piece. Also would like to point out a fact that has surfaced a few days ago in an article by Washington whistle blower, Carl Bernstein, that John McCain is really good friends with G.Gordon Liddy and from time to time frequents his radio show. Now there's an actual ongoing association with a domestic terrorist which John McCain (still) refers to as his good friend. You can look it up and hear what kind of topics he and Mr. Liddy discuss. It is just outrageous to me why the nightly news doesn't get a reporter on this story days before the election??

Lisa

Coco said...

You are astonishingly diverse in your beliefs, captivating in your observations, a known elitist...yet quietly humble just the same;-), an expert researcher...and yes, I would vote for you as President...at least of my country.

Anonymous said...

Great writing as always!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Sammi, you make some good points but I believe that one of the primary responsibilites of the president is his role as the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. A strong and well-led national defense is what separates our country from the rest. McCain has proven himself a leader of character and courage through his selfless service to our country. Obama never opted to serve his country in the armed forces; for this, I cannot support him.
Love you! Kim