Thursday, May 1, 2008

Cougars, Lions, and Silver Foxes


Recently, on a business trip to New York, while also taking time to visit some of my favorite SoHo haunts, I over-heard a guy at Felixes telling his friend that he wasn’t looking for a “cougar” that evening. So, with my inquisitive mind working over-time and a tasteless mojito in hand, I invited myself into their conversation and asked them to please define a “cougar”. And, apparently, I wasn’t the only person who wanted the term defined because a woman who alleged she was twenty-nine, but looked more like a good forty-nine, turned around to tune in.

In any event, this 28-year-old investment banker, and dead ringer for Van Wilder, went on to describe a “cougar” as a woman who’s typically 30-years-old, and out on the prowl looking for some action. That’s right—30. Furthermore, according to Mr. Wilder, this type of woman is usually alone and having a few cocktails (martinis tend to be the drink of choice) while waiting to pounce on her unsuspecting, young prey. In addition, she’s typically attractive, well dressed, and looks like the only thing she’s in need of is companionship from a younger man. But, unfortunately, more often than not, these women take on the appearance of an over-weight, over-perfumed, and grandmotherly type who dresses in flashy clothing. I was speechless and not because I like flashy clothing.

Mr. Wilder, after grabbing the attention of everyone in earshot, with his "poignant" monologue, apparently derived from his sociology class dissertation, asked me my age. Without hesitation, and much confidence, I obliged and said, “I’m thirty-nine, soon to be forty in a few months.” One would have thought I gave away the secret formula to Tide because with much facial contortion, complete with bulging eyes, and the need to use his indoor voice, he screamed, “WOW!, I thought you were my age BUT you’re not only a “cougar”, you’re an old “cougar”!” That’s right-an old “cougar”.

Now, while I don't mind being called a fussy lion, a lioness (as I am a Leo), or occasionally a bitch, I was somewhat mortified when I was called a "cougar" … especially an old “cougar”. I mean one minute I’m being mistaken for a spry 28-year-old woman, and the next, I’m being called an old cat who drinks alone. Either way, I was ready to scratch his eyes out but opted to tame my fury by upgrading my watered-down mojito to a glass of champagne.

Honestly, how is it that an older (usually over 50), attractive man, who's out on the prowl, is called a “silver fox”, but change the gender, drop the age by ten years, and the “silver fox” is miraculously morphed into an “old cougar”? How does a single, "older" woman immediately become a broken down, lonely, old cat on the prowl?

It's been a long night ... it's time to drink my milk and retire to my lair.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but you're a hot old cougar, so there!

Anonymous said...

Excerpted from urbandictionary.com for you.

"Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together"

"Silver Fox: an older gentleman with grey pubic hair"

So as a hot old cougar – you win – double the shit together & double the sexual high. Beats grey pubic hair.

Devon Fleming said...

Hysterical. I'd take an old cougar over a silver fox anyday. Cats are always the boss, have 7 lives, and their 'cat like' nature makes their prowling ever appealing to any beast...

Anonymous said...

Please... 30! The guy was 28... What the hell does he call himself?

Anonymous said...

Just read the Cougars, Lions and "the Silver South" blogpost...

It's your best writing yet, I think--great rhythm, just the right amount of secondary detail, amusingly critical without seeming too bitter... bra-va!

Anonymous said...

Very funny! You need to invent a name for rude, stupid, drunk young men....

Anonymous said...

yo girl-- i like your blog you crafty cougar!

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing. Unless you were actually out on the prowl for ill-mannered children then cougar did not apply. I think what's at issue here is that an ol' girl can't go out,minding her own business, and have a cocktail. Why is it your automatically out on the prowl?

Anonymous said...

Read it love it and yes I am familar with the concept. So if a 28 year old man goes out with someone two years older they are like the same age in my book, but these guys think they are giving a donation to a non-profit when they do it?

So bizarre!!

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely and profoundly hilarious, you SERIOUSLY need to write that book, get a column in a hot magazine, and then the rest will follow!! You know who -- just let me know when you are ready to have your name out there Ms. Mendenhall.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I had forgotton how funny you are and what a great writer. You do need a column.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lovi,
Enjoyed your blog. As I said before, your writing is colorful and interesting. I bet a course in creative writing would catapult you into a world with likes of Oprah!

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://iqucypopow.virtue.nu/xukadu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://wucocubav.100freemb.com/ucacydi.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com Online Investment Blog