Sunday, October 28, 2007

Skid Row Lemonade

Living in Los Angeles is like residing in a snow globe without the snow. Everything is perceived to be perfect until it’s shaken up by a wild fire or immigration march. And for me, this perceived perfection gets to a point of exhaustion and my soul gravitates towards the chaos of New York.

So, I started looking for a way out when I could no longer handle the pressure of having to apply make-up before going to the grocery store. Without even thinking about it, I put my loft on Craigslist and started my search for work in New York. But, after my mother re-assured me that every woman needs make-up, and a friend suggested I take a long walk to clear my head to get a new perspective on my life in Los Angeles, I put my plans on hold.

The next day, I honored my friend’s wish and in my true New York fashion, I donned the black uniform: knee length coat, knee length leather boots, black sweater and jeans. To add a little color to my ensemble, I added my favorite hand-made, Sicilian, plaid newsboy purchased at La Coppola Storta in SoHo.

There I was, dressed and ready to battle the streets of downtown LA – I even had my Ipod playing Bowies “Under Pressure” which gave me a confident Travolta strut. As my music drowned out the noise pollution, I really started to notice the amazing architecture of my downtown ‘hood. Buildings were slowly becoming works of art and their contents were of sudden importance to my life. For instance, I didn’t realize that the pagan ritual store sold scented candles and that there were at least three shoe repair shops around the corner!

This walk was turning into an adventure and amazingly enough, as I walked down 2nd, it reminded me of the West Village, I passed an area around Alameda and thought of the Meatpacking District; and then I walked through Skid Row and it reminded me of the sad souls along the Bowery … only the Bowery is cleaner with swank nightlife.

Anyway, as I stood on the corner in the middle of Skid Row, I remembered someone saying, “If you love something let it go and make lemonade”. And, it was at that moment, I realized I had to stop living in the past and start living in the present and embrace my Los Angeles life. But, should I embrace the woman who’s been following me for the past five blocks?

I turned around, and she gave me a little wave. I returned in kind. Then, just to make sure she was following me, I dipped down a short alley and with her granny cart in tow, she dipped with me.

My guardian angel was a black woman dressed in a thirty’s style coat and hat. Every step I took, she was right behind me. When my music picked up, my walk would quicken and so would my guardian angel. There she was in every reflection, and for some reason, I actually felt safe knowing I had a stranger following me throughout downtown. She even followed me to my front door.

As I pulled out my keys to signal this was my stop, I looked back at her and a wave of sadness overcame me ... I realized that her brief distraction to living on the streets was over.

I wonder if my guardian angel will find a way to make Skid Row lemonade.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen your guardian angel since?

Chenoa708 said...

Your walk probably would have went down a whole lot different if you were in NYC.... come back to us Sammi ... NYC misses you!!!

Anonymous said...

Good one chica, I especially like the guardian angel - but does this mean we won't see you in NYC this weekend? (marathon time again...)

Anonymous said...

What if your guardian angel has already made lemonade? Maybe she's made it drank it, it was good and now she's onto something else. Maybe she doesn't feel like making lemonade and maybe people telling her that she needs to make lemonade really annoys the crap out of her. Huh?, I think that is referred to as transferring. Make no judgements of her life. If she chooses or can make lemonade she will.

Anonymous said...

You are such a great writer. Will you get me a TV show already.

Curtz

Anonymous said...

Good work on the blog. Nothing like a little jaunt through skid row to distance yourself from the "lipstick and mascara just to go to 7-11" crowd,
eh?

Unknown said...

Beautiful Sammi. Your writing is really taking shape & blooming just as it sounds you are personally too! I can't wait to hear what revelations you will blog next! Anything about friends with kids? Hmmmm....food for thought...love to hear it though...Keep it flowing girl, it sounds natural & positive

Unknown said...

Being an X-New Yorker myself I understand your feelings. I too have embraced my LA Life....and yes its allot different here. In NY their called "Homeless" not "Guardian Angels"! It seems like your making the adjustment.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.